Have leg pain and discomfort when laying or sitting down. Restless leg syndrome?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 39 years old and have been experiencing extreme "aching and discomfort" in both of my legs in the last 6 months. I am physically fit, eat healthy, exercise regularly (running & cycling), am not over weight, don't smoke & only drink occasionally. The discomfort is mainly when I am laying or sitting down. Is this something that I should look further into or could it just be Restless leg syndrome?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Since the pain and discomfort is while resting, it is not likely to be due to a vascular cause. This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc. Chronic illnesses like alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiencies may also result in such pain that often affects both legs.
It may also be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.
Other causes are lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.
All the above causes can be ruled out by your physician after some tests and examination.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.