Have leg and knee pain. Had diarrhea. What should I do?

my son has had leg and knee pain for over a week, started by limping on it but still walking, running, etc now he is saying it hurts on and off but sometimes will not even put weight on it, sometimes he is even crying due to the pain. He has now had a few times of diarrhea. I took him into the doctor two days ago and she was thinking it was more in the hip and maybe just soft tissue strain. However the pain has not gotten better at all and sometimes is even worse than it was on Monday. Is this something he should be seen for again? Urgently?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If the symptoms worsen , yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Well looking into your problem and the history you gave I would like to tell you that your doctor may be right as muscle or soft tissue strain is quite a common problem with kids . Sometimes they dont even remember when they get injured during playing as minor injuries may also result in this .

But since you gave history of loose motions possibilty of reactive arthritis also needs to be taken into consideration .

Since your doctor has examined the kid may be the pain is coming from hip as he remains the best judge of situation . This problem requires clinical judgement so it depends on the examining person . If the pain still persists you can go for a second opinion . Plus make the child take rest because that will help in healing .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti