Have left ovary removed, cystic multiple septated area on right ovary. Suggested to remove ovary and uterus. Necessary?

I am 39 yr old, 5'-1" and weigh 122 lbs. I have never been pregnant. I had my left ovary removed 1.5 years ago due to large unresolved simple cyst. Now I have large, cystic multiple septated area on my remaining right ovary. My GYN has prescribed surgical removal of ovary and uterus, and very soon. Is this really my best option? I'm concerned with long- and short-term side effects of immediate surgical menopause. Here's what the ultrasound report said: "rt ov appearing with cystic mostly anechoic, multiple septated area. Small area of blood flow seen within septation. Septations appearing thin. Edge ovarian blood flow seen. No XXXXXXX color flow noted. Small amount of FF seen near rt ov" What does all that mean? I have no pain or other symptoms except irregular periods, so removing all my organs seems like a rather drastic suggestion. CA-125 is negative. My GYN does not think it is cancer. Is it really medically necessary?
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 42 minutes later
Hello Studyforever,
Your gynecologist is very right in her advise and as a layman you have also every right for doubt.
You have a tendency of neoplasms, earlier the ovary was removed for persistent cyst and now again another ovary with similar issue.
Because the ovary can not be kept in with such a growth, because it can turn malignant, can get torsion and become gangrenous and can lead to life threatening sequelae. In any case your menopause is also round the corner.
The uterus is also now a nonfunctional organ and may cause unnecessary troubles and is very accessible and can be easily removed so in cases like yours the surgical choice to remove the uterus and ovaries en masse is the gold standard recommendation and should be followed as such.
The ultrasound report is not suggestive of cancer but of an aggressive type of cyst which is having erratic blood supply and can eat surrounding structures.
The CA-125 negativity indicates that the present tumor is not ovarian carcinoma but it's behavior is harbinger of XXXXXXX turn in future and early intervention is highly advisable.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Have left ovary removed, cystic multiple septated area on right ovary. Suggested to remove ovary and uterus. Necessary? 6 hours later
Thanks so much for your response!

I have another question: Would it be bad if I waited a month before having surgery? And If my ovary were to get significantly better in a few weeks, do you think I would still need the surgery?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 11 hours later
Hi Studyforever,
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The cyst is heterogenous with fluid and degenerative changes within.
Such neoplasms do not usually regress rather they can bring unforeseen complications if left unattended.
You should not take this risk, these tumors can rupture, get torsion and become gangrenous or may turn malignant.
It is worthwhile to be proactive for surgical management than to postpone it.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!