Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. Why am I having pain in the middle of chest?

Cardiac Surgeon
having this pain in the middle of my chest and some time a little more on the right side of chest.I have a leaky Mitral valve prolapse but all my test indicated that I was just fine and noting was getting worse.What can this be why i'm having pain in the middle of my chest?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 8 hours later
As you have mentioned you have been diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse syndrome (MVP). It is a syndrome complex where the patient will have mainly mitral valve regurgitation.
This disease is very commonly associated with few other non cardiac symptoms. Chest pain is one among them. Other symptoms which can accompany in some people are palpitation(feeling your own heart beat), syncopal attacks, anxiety, breathlessness. Chest pain is most common association.
As mitral valve leakage is not worse, you can continue with the same medication which you are on now. I suggest you to ignore the pain as it will not harm you. It is not related to coronary artery disease or something of that kind. Chest pain is because of autonomic nervous dysfunction for which no special treatment is required. And there is no specific treatment also for chest pain.
Kindly get the echocardiogram done once in every six months after visiting a cardiologist.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. Why am I having pain in the middle of chest? 12 hours later
What if I have lyme disease or an infection in my blood and this is mean reason my chest is in pain.Before this pain I had a week of fever and soar troth and now all this chest pain that could be associate with this disease? I'm waiting for my blood Cultures test result back.

Will my blood Cultures test for Lyme disease? Or do I need new test?
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 34 hours later
Lyme disease itself may not cause chest pain. It is unusual. Rash,joint pain are commonly associated. Blood culture is not so effective test in lyme disease as it may not grow bacteria. ELISA and Western Blot tests are little more sensitive.
Patients with MVP are more prone for bacterial endocarditis.( bacterial growth on the valve leaflets). It is always indicated to do blood culture in any episode of fever. It will rule out any other infection. Wait for the report.
Follow-up: Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. Why am I having pain in the middle of chest? 4 hours later
Thank you so much Doct.So you are telling me that at this time the Blood Cultures was the best way to tell what happening to me? It may be able to catch any other infection as well? Also I'm experiencing a rapid weight lost.

My Result should be back soon.Hope for the best!
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 4 minutes later
Yes. It is safe at this point of time to rule out bacterial endocarditis. Any such bacterial infection in the blood will be detected by culture.
Weight loss may not be related to your heart condition. It may be because of the infection which you have now.
Best of luck and wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Have leaky mitral valve prolapse. Why am I having pain in the middle of chest? 2 days later

After many blood test looks like i don't have any blood or chronic disease.Good :)

My pain did go away for 3 days.But today i had once again this strange pain going on my left arm and move to the middle of my chest.This pain feel like a pinch,sharp,puncture.
Very frustrating.I do feel my hard rate a little bit going but no problem at all with my breathing.What is this i just want to stop.It is not bad at all now but why this pain has to appear?? What should i do? I may go to jog every time this pain come so i can proof my self that is not hard related.Any suggestion?
Answered by Dr. Nisarga 32 hours later
It is good that you don't have any infection in the blood. That was more worrisome.
As I described about the chest pain earlier, it is commonly associated with MVP syndrome. It is because of autonomic dysfunction. It is not harmful at all.There is no proper remedy also. Try taking some pain killers, may get some relief.
Try to neglect it by involving in some activity. Try to avoid thinking about your pain. There is no problem if you go for jogging everyday.
Some amount of anxiety also is making your pain worse. Try to relax.
I wish you all the best.