Have leaking pilondial cyst on buttock. Worried for HIV infection if cyst is touched with vagina

Jul 2016

Hello. I am a bit worried. A couple of days I got a massage from a woman where I was lying on my stomach and she was massaging my back. We were both naked. I have a pilondial cyst on my buttock for years which does not bother me but occasionally leaks and was leaking slightly that day. My worry is that briefly she might have sat on my buttocks for the massage during which her vaginal lips might have touched my cyst. What are the chances of hiv transmission in such a case and should I be worried about it?

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 18 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Pilonidal Sinus and had massage from a lady.

You have a doubt of this Sinus being touched with her vagina and there by getting HIV infection.

In all probabilities, possibilities of contact of the Pilonidal sinus with her vagina cannot be ruled out. It will be better if you get Blood Tests for HIV done now and repeat the tests after 3 months to rule out any possibility of acquiring HIV. This is the only way to confirm or to rule out transmission of HIV infection.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask, if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Have leaking pilondial cyst on buttock. Worried for HIV infection if cyst is touched with vagina 28 minutes later
Thanks that answers the question but based on this info. can you suggest whether this would be a low risk, medium or high risk scenario? What are the chances of transmission in such a case? Keep in mind that the cyst is located during the inner portion of the buttocks closer to the anus. And the contact was a brief one.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 25 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

It is not possible to grade the risk involved as it is just like a All or None rule, meaning there by it may be or may not be.

To be true there are very less chances of getting HIV infection, But it is safer to get these tests done as the cost of negligence will be too high.This will help you to allay your anxiety.

Thanks and Regards.
Follow-up: Have leaking pilondial cyst on buttock. Worried for HIV infection if cyst is touched with vagina 33 minutes later
Thank you doctor, I will get the test done. But request one additional question.

So you do think that a brief brush of the vaginal lips with the cyst would be a low chance of transmission. Can you reconfirm once? I would appreciate.

Also - if I have to get myself tested is it not better to get the tests done 3 - 6 months later if in any case the test has be repeated 3 - 6 months later?

One side question outside of this. The pilonidal cyst I have has been there for years and doesn't bother me at all except the occasional leak. Should I get it surgically removed or let it be if it doesn't bother me. Is it XXXXXXX to live with it?

Really appreciate your help here.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If transmission is to happen it will happen, even with slight contact and does not need vigorous and rough rubbing.
In addition, screening test for HIV has to be done twice to confirm it to be positive.
Pilonidal sinus is located in a place, which is potentially dirty and so more prone to be infected at any point of time. So we advise to get it excised.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr Patil