Have lasting cough. Become unconscious, hand and legs vibrate with hard cough. Had cold. Advise?

Feb 2013

I am really scared because I have a long lasting caugh and when I try to caugh hardly I become unconscious and my hand and legs will vibrate for about two second
I had a cold about two weeks ago but I am much more better right know expect my caugh. It is like an attack and when it starts I really loss my control and sometimes I loss my consious. This makes me really scared.
I would like to know the side effects of the pressure of caugh on brain.
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I can understand the severity of the cough and your concerns about it.

If the cough is severe, excessive, and continuous it will lead to dizziness, headache, some times leading to cough syncope.

The extreme condition is developing small petechial hemorrhages in the brain and encephalopathy with the pressure of severe cough. But this type of lesions are seen in whooping cough.

The common side effects of severe cough on brain are headache, confusion, dizziness, and cough syncope.

If the cough is severe enough to cause disturbance to routine activity or sleep, it should be treated with cough suppressant drugs or expectorant drugs depending on the type of cough.

I advise you to consult the physician for examination and for treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.