Have large whitehead on upper lip and it is swollen. Any cure?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
I have a large whitehead on my upper lip, and the area around it is swollen and extremely painful. It started three days ago, with a small whitehead, and has since then grown and become more and more painful.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 10 minutes later
The lesion on your upper lip looks like a pustule or infected pimple.
Please do not touch it or scratch it.
This is called danger zone of the face and infection here can spread to the brain thro veins.
So please consult a doctor - you will need some pain relievers like Paracetamol or ibuprofen, external ointment, and some oral anibiotic capsules.
This will take care of the lesion.
Till you go the the doctor take two paracetamol tablets for pain!
All the best
God bless
Follow-up: Have large whitehead on upper lip and it is swollen. Any cure? 10 minutes later
I've been applying Clindamycin phosphate and Nicotinamide Gel on it for the last 3 days, since thats what I usually apply for any acne outbreaks I have from time to time. I've had such an outbreak on my lips before, however it usually dries out in a day or two. This time, it's gotten bigger and more painful. Could it be Herpes?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 11 minutes later
Hi again,
Herpes of the lips usually comes as a group of small blisters .
You have described that you have a single large Whitehead.
The is more likely to be infected acne in my opinion.
The pain and swelling are ueyo the secondary infection.
That is why I am suggesting systemic antibiotics ( oral antibioics medicines also other than external application).
Acne heals faster when not infected!
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Have large whitehead on upper lip and it is swollen. Any cure? 8 minutes later
Which Antibiotics should I take?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Generally broad spectrum antibiotics with something covering for skin organism like staphylococcus are preferred for this.
You Ave to tee the combination antibiotic like amoxycillin+clevulanic acid cloxacillin or cephalosprin with cloxacillin.
Kindly go to your nearesr GP and get the prescription.
We are not allowed to give the prescription in this forum and you Need a prescription for the same.
Thanks and all the best
Dr Uma