Have large thyroid nodules. Will it be safe to go for air travel?

Question
I have large benign thyroid nodules for about 3 years. I have no discomfort from them and I get a yearly biopsy.I am not on any medication. The nodules are visible but I wear jewelry which covers. I have no problem swallowing, speaking or anything. I am planning a vacation and airplane travel and a friend told me she thought she had heard that cabin pressure in airplanes can cause problems for people with large thyroid nodules. Now I am afraid to continue with my travel plans.
I am a 56 year female in good health. Is it possible for the nodules to swell because of the cabin air pressure on the airplane ?
Thank you,
XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. There is no problem with thyroid nodules and airplane travel. What you heard is just a myth. Goahead as per your plan and enjoy. Dont worry unnecessarily. Nodules cant swell because of cabin pressure.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Have large thyroid nodules. Will it be safe to go for air travel? 17 minutes later
I often ask my doctor (endocronoligist) if there is anything that can be done to reduce the size of my thyroid nodules and he says that there is not. He just recommends surgery to remove them and the thyroid as well. Since I feel great, go to work everyday, and have benign biopsies, I really don't want to opt for surgery. So again I ask ---Is there anyway to decrease the size of these nodules ?
Thank you
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 26 minutes later
There isnt anything to be XXXXXXX If there was a single nodule, radio frequency ablation, laser ablation or alcohol injection. But with so many nodules surgery is the only definitive form of treatment.
Shivaprasad