Have large red spot on both legs. Painful to touch. Should I seek medical attention?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012
Excellent

Question
I have large red spot on the back of my left leg and on my right leg. I feel pain when I touch it but I don't have any pain while I'm walking around. Should I go to the doctor?
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a benign skin condition

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Given your description, isolated red spots hardly signify any serious condition. It could just be blood clot beneath the skin or may be a type of skin affection which could be of infectious origin.
I will love to have a view of it and if you could take some pics of the lesions and attach while replying to this message, I will be able to help decipher further what type of lesion that maybe. From there, I will be able to tell if it merits seeing a doctor or getting it treated at home.

Hope this helps and hope to hear from you soon.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Have large red spot on both legs. Painful to touch. Should I seek medical attention? 12 minutes later
It's warm when I touch the area also. Should I be worried?
I can't attach the photos

Brief Answer:
It is very likely an infection

Detailed Answer:

If it is warm on touch, then it is most likely an infection and will require treatment with antibiotics and antiinflammatory mostly orally. You therefore need to see a doctor as soon as possible. Since these prescription medications such as cloxacillin, erythromycin, amoxicillin/clavulinic acid (antibiotics) etc and diclofenac, ibuprofen etc (antiinflammatory) I am not allowed to give you further details regarding the treatment and your doctor is better placed to do the medical evaluation and provide you with the needed treatment.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Have large red spot on both legs. Painful to touch. Should I seek medical attention? 7 minutes later
Thank you, I will make an appointment as soon as possible.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
I do wish you the best and feel free to come back to our site for more health support.

Dr. Nsah