Have large pimple on forehead. Noticed swelling and bruise around eye. Any suggestion?

Question
Hello!

My Husband has a large pimple on his forehead which seems to have no openings for puss or oil. It's not getting larger in puffiness but it is getting bigger from top to bottom which is effecting his right eye. The eye appears swollen and bruised a bit. What do you suggest as he said it's very painful and pushing on it does not cause anything to come out it only causes it to appear to spread.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. This lump looks like a boil or an abscess. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus and may occur due to hair follicles that are blocked by greasy creams and petroleum jelly or by using shared cosmetics or washcloths.

Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics and warm compresses. Also he should use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams and if his hair has dandruff then use a good antidandruff shampoo. It can be avoided by exercising good hygiene. Topical antibiotics like Clindamycin and Neosporin are effective and your husband can get them prescribed. Also he may need a course of oral antibiotics and talk to your doctor as he may also take some anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen. Usually the symptoms should improve with the above mentioned methods. If the symptoms persist then he may need incision and drainge to drain out the pus.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Have large pimple on forehead. Noticed swelling and bruise around eye. Any suggestion? 7 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr.

I can tell you this does not look like cystic acne. It's also hard as a rock so nothing to make me think he has an abscess. I'm wondering if the swelling moving toward the eye is something we should be concerned about and should get antibiotics for. Unfortunately I can't get him to stop messing with it!!!!

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

It can be a dermoid cyst, sebaceous cyst or some benign skin growth. since it is growing in size and effecting his eye, it needs immediate evaluation. However the best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis.