Have large lump on top of foot, hurts to touch, swollen, warm to touch. Taken Ibuprofen, put ice. What is wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a large lump on the top of my left foot. The lump aches and hurts to touch it. My foot really hurts when I try to extend the toes upward on my left food. My left food is slightly swollen, and the lump also is slightly warm to touch. I have taken ibuprofen and put ice on. No change actually pain has gotten worse. What is wrong with me?
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

Tender large lump with warmth associated full swelling has to be evaluated. It can be something benign like a ganglion or any tumour arising from bone(s) of foot.

I would like to know whether the type of onset - was it acute or insidious (swelling gradually increased in size)? Duration of appearance of swelling? Duration of pain/warmth? Any associated numbness or change of color/texture of skin?

Ideally a Clinical examination is mandatory along with an X-ray to confirm the cause. I would suggest you to see your doctor immediately.

Hope this answers your query. Feel free to clarify if you have further queries.