Have large lump on lower back. Should I be worried?

Nov 2013

I have a large lump on my lower back towards my buttocks - could this be a muscle or is it something I need to worry about?
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

In the location mentioned, most often the lumps are due to normal muscle or fatty tissue.

Is the lump only on one side or both sides? Is it painful? Since how long have you had it? Is it increasing in size? How big is it?

I think there is no need to worry at present. If possible, please get back with the answers.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow-up: Have large lump on lower back. Should I be worried? 16 hours later
Hi, Thanks, that is very helpful. It is only on one side but I have felt them on both sides before. This time though it just feels like only on one side and it is bigger than in the past. But already today it feels a tiny bit smaller. The lump is closer to my outside of my back vs. my spine just above my buttocks. I will go to a doctor in the New Year but I just wanted to check this is not something where I need to rush ASAP before the holidays to get it checked. If you have any further thoughts, do let me know. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 38 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with clarifications.

This is more likely to be due to soft tissue (usually fatty tissue), in the location that you have mentioned. There is no need to worry.

You can definitely wait now, and see your doctor in the new year.

Wish you a merry Christmas and a very happy new year,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM