Have large lump and bruise on calf. Is this anything to worry about?

Have a large lump on the top of my XXXXXXX bone after playing football last monday now have bruising on calf and running down to my foot is this anything to worry about
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting query in HCM

Usually the bruising heals in about 2-3 weeks of the injury. The worry starts if sign of infection like fever, redness etc. present, and symptoms like pain, swelling increases and bruise last for more than 3 weeks. The home remedies your can follow are:
1. Hot fermentation 3-4 times a day. Some specialist advises both hot and cold fermentation.
2. Wrap elastic bandage like crepe bandage at the site of bruise. But don't wrap it too tightly.
3. Elevate the leg with the help of pillow, it help in reducing swelling and bruise.
4. Take analgesic and anti-inflammatory according to the symptoms.
5. Do not take tobacco in any form; it may delay your healing process.

Hope you got answer to your query. Write again if you have any further queries. I will be happy to answer it.

Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Follow-up: Have large lump and bruise on calf. Is this anything to worry about? 14 hours later
What do you think I have injured and should it be x-rayed or will it cure with rest?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 31 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for a follow up query.

The soft tissue and small vessels are injured and that has caused lump in a starting and now bruise. I do not think you need X-ray. The bruise will heal by its own. As you have injured you leg one week ago, if there is any fracture than you are in a severe pain and swelling and pain increases even with slight movement.

If you have increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing than only you needs to do X-ray. Else, need not to worry.

Hope you have got your answer. Write again if you have any related query.

Dr. Kulbir Singh