Have large bumps on inner thigh and developed white head. What could it be?

Hey doc. I have a slightly larger than pea sized bump on my right inner thigh, where the butt meets my leg. Thought it was an insect bite, was painful for a few days, developed a white head, then the pain went away and it began to heal, although the dark coloration in the affected area remained. After a month (3 weeks after pain went away), the pain and swelling has returned in the same place. I don't have it anywhere else, just this one spot. What could it be?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 26 minutes later
Hi..Welcome to XXXXXXX

From what you mention , it appears to be a 'Folliculitis' in the mentioned site.
This is an infection of the hair-follicles and is precipitated by a trauma like shaving/epilation/waxing or even sometimes by friction or accidental pulling of hair. This is caused by a bacteria most commonly Staphylococcus aureus ,which infects and causes the location to become pus filled in sometime.The pus is perceived as a white-head many.
When the folliculitis heals , it leaves a darker color called 'post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation'.
A frequent problem with Folliculitis is that it is recurrent unless a proper antibiotic therapy is administered and this is what might have returned now.

I will be able to help you better if you can upload a few pictures of the same(in good resolution) .You can send in your pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject as 'ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.

I will be happy to answer your follow-up queries.

Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Have large bumps on inner thigh and developed white head. What could it be? 35 hours later
Hello Doctor. It's difficult to get a photo due to the location, but I have sent one to you as requested.

I tried to exfoliate the area, and it seems there is a small hole in the top of the reddened area now.

This is going to sound crazy, but originally I was worried it was some sort of STD because right before it appeared I went to a bar in the developing world that turned out to be filled with hookers, and I used the toilet. The painful bump is right on the area that touches a toilet seat when sitting down. Can you put my mind at ease in that area? There is only one area that has been affected and the bump, as mentioned, returned in the exact same place. The timing seems to coincide with just before the start of my menstrual cycle.

Since it seems to have begun draining, it's not nearly as painful as it had been.

What is the recommended course of action if in fact it is folliculitis? What else could it be? And if medical treatment is necessary, what kind of doctor do I need to go to/what kinds of medications are necessary?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 10 hours later
Hi..thanks for following up and uploading the picture. I know taking the photo must have been tough, but appreciate you doing that.

Looking at the picture ,I feel there is an infection in the site ,like the Folliculitis i mentioned.
The usual course of treatment is :
1)Oral antibiotics for 5-7 days
2)Topical anti biotic creams like Mupirocin 2% or Fusidic acid for 7-10 days
3) Oral anti-inflammatory medications for 2-3 days.
4) Normal saline to clean the area twice daily and strictly no touching/ attempting to squeeze or drain it.
5)Warm compresses to drain out the inflammatory fluid and relieve the pain.

You could do the last 2 steps at home .However , a dermatologist visit is required to assess and start the oral/topical medication.
In certain cases ,your doctor may require a swab to be sent for culture.

This is not a sign of STD.You can be assured on that.

Since this is on site that is subjected to more contamination and fiction all the time, lesions require little more time to heal that the other sites.You may use a band aid to cover the area to prevent furher infection .

Hope I have answered your query.If you do not have any further clarifications , you may close this and rate the answer.

Wishing you good health,