Have large brown patch on torso, arms. Losing weight. Have GERD. Got arthritis in hands. What to do?

I have very large patches of brown skin on front and back torso, under my arms and is on the inside of my inside where I bend my elbo. It is not hard but has a waxy feeling. Like when I run my finger down my arm it feels it is hard to move over it. I Have GERD and get food stuck in my throat most all of the time. I have lost weight and I can see every vein in my body. My body looks like a road map. I have gotten arthritis so bad in my hands in the past two months and can't even close my hands. I am in pain all of the time. I can't hold a cup without two hands and It is imposable pull a weed. My doctor doesn't know what to do with me. I had blood work SCL-70 and it came back negative so they say it is not scleroderma. I don't know what to do my muscles hurt and I am so tired all of the time
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

The weight loss you had could be attributed to the GERD , If its treated and your nutrition improved you may not have any problem .Since weight loss to the level that the subcutaneous tissue is lost making the veins visible sometimes can lead to symptoms you have now.

The doubt on scleroderma may be due to the loss of subcutaneous tissue.

Also not to ignore it , you may have to get a tests like RA factor, CRP (C reactive protein) and ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) which when negative rule out chronic inflammatory disease which can cause such symptoms in you.

If any of the above is positive then a clue into further work up is gained.

Keep yourself well hydrated, do consume energy drinks frequently.

I strongly feel its just the weight loss causing the problems in you.It need not be a quantitative weight loss.Loss of subcutaneous tissue and fat around the joints is much enough to produce such symptoms.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have large brown patch on torso, arms. Losing weight. Have GERD. Got arthritis in hands. What to do? 2 hours later
I did have those three blood test done and they were negative. I thought maybe scleroderma since I have the brown patches on my skin, I look like a junkie with the brown arms. This is why I was thinking I had scleroderms.

Thank you for the feedback.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I am now strongly convinced that the deficient nutrition is the main cause for your easy fatiguability and muscle pains.

Do consume protein XXXXXXX foods and drinks.This may but late show good response.

I also suggest you to retest the above mentioned tests after a month , as there may be waxing and waning in the inflammatory disease process.

Wish you good health.