Have knee joint pain. Drink wine sometimes. Done with kidney profile and lipid profile test. Suggest the diet and medication required?

Question
This is XXXX, a software engineer, aged 35 years, male, non-veg, height 5.5 ft, weight 82 Kg, having complain of knee joint pain for couple of weeks. Following is my Kidney Profile result and Lipid Profile Result. Should I need to be worried? How can I get it to normal? Food restriction? Exercise?
I drink wine sometimes. Do I need to stop it?
Please suggest me the diet and medication if required.

CREATININE - SERUM PHOTOMETRY 0.82 mg%
BLOOD UREA NITROGEN (BUN) PHOTOMETRY 11.5 mg/dl
BUN / SR.CREATININE RATIO CALCULATED 14.02
URIC ACID PHOTOMETRY 7.6 mg/dl
CALCIUM PHOTOMETRY 10.06 mg/dl
TOTAL CHOLESTEROL PHOTOMETRY 219 mg%
HDL CHOLESTEROL - DIRECT PHOTOMETRY 38 mg%
TRIGLYCERIDES PHOTOMETRY 140 mg%
LDL CHOLESTEROL - DIRECT PHOTOMETRY 156 mg%
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mildly elevated uric acid and cholesterol levels

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I have gone through your query and attached report with diligence. I shall comment on each parameter; whether normal or not, and if not normal, what you need to do to correct it. This way, you can understand everything in detail and clearly.

-Serum Creatinine: 0.82 mg% -- NORMAL
-Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN): 11.5 mg/dL -- NORMAL
-BUN / Serum creatinine ratio 14.02 -- NORMAL
-Uric acid: 7.6 mg/dl -- Slightly elevated; needs to be lowered with the help of a strict diet that excludes fructose containing drinks; limit meat, poultry and fish; have high fibre-containing food; use olive oil for cooking; increased intake of vitamin C; increased celery in your diet; avoid alcohol (reduce wine as well), smoking and bakery products; more anti-oxidants in food; increased intake of cherries and XXXXXXX cider vinegar; and so on. Please consult a nutritionist or dietitian for the same. No medications would be required if you achieve successful control through diet control.
-Calcium: 10.06 mg/dL -- NORMAL

Lipid profile
-Total cholesterol: 219 mg/dL -- slightly elevated, carrying a mild risk for heart disease; for this you will have to increase your physical activity, increase daily exercise and introduce the TLC diet (for which I would advise you to consult a nutritionist)
-HDL: 38 mg/dL -- Good level, but better if increased (i.e. needs to be above 40 in males); need to increase physical activity and exercise daily
-Triglycerides: 140 mg/dL -- NORMAL
-LDL: 156 mg/dL -- slightly elevated, carrying a mild risk for heart disease; for this you will have to increase your physical activity, increase daily exercise and introduce the TLC diet (for which I would advise you to consult a nutritionist)

There is currently no need to introduce medication for either your elevated uric acid levels or slightly elevated cholesterol levels. The main treatment here should be a change in lifestyle with the inclusion of a strict diet and regular exercise. This way you can avoid all future problems and live a healthy and long life.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have knee joint pain. Drink wine sometimes. Done with kidney profile and lipid profile test. Suggest the diet and medication required? 13 minutes later
Do you suggest anything for my back-pain which seems to be due to gas formation? I'm assuming so because I get complete relief after passing the morning stool.
Also can you please name the vegetables I should not have in order control the uric acid?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check for gastric condition; diet given below

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again XXXXXXX

I shall surely assist you with that.

If you are having gas trouble, then the first thing your doctor would want to do is rule out any underlying condition (eg. gastritis, ulcers, etc.); once this is done, and you are found to be healthy with only an increased acid or gas production, you might be advised daily antacids or proton pump inhibitors (eg. ranitidine, etc.), to be taken before meals to control your gas problem. Avoid taking pain killers for your back problem, as the source is the gas trouble. Taking pain killers will only make your stomach and gas problem worse in the long run.

Vegetables to be avoided due to high uric acid levels are:
-Peas
-Spinach
-Mushrooms
-Cauliflower
-Beans
-Oatmeal
-Lentils
-Asparagus
-Sprouts

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me if I can assist you any further, it would be my pleasure to do so.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Have knee joint pain. Drink wine sometimes. Done with kidney profile and lipid profile test. Suggest the diet and medication required? 17 hours later
This is really helpful. What about the following food?
- Noodles
- Corn Flakes
- Veg Sandwich
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Cabbage
- Baby Corn
- Honey
- Milk

Finally, can I consult a nutritionist or dietitian for the same online?

Thanks
XXXX

Brief Answer:
Avoid noodles; yes you can here on XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again XXXXXXX

From the list of food mentioned above, everything would be fine except for noodles. I would advise against it.

Yes of course you can consult a nutritionist online from XXXXXXX Just choose the category as 'Nutrition' and in your query request for a Nutritionist.

You are most welcome my friend.