Ask a Urologist   »  

Have kidney stones. Having pain. Recommended CT scan. How long? Other problems?

Jul 2016

i had a ultrasound done few wks ago. it showed i have kidney stones on my right kidney. i was referred to a urologist. i went to her on monday. she said my stone was 5mm and the other was 7mm she said she couldnt tell by a ultrasound if it a stone or calcus she said she could tell by doing a ct scan but she didnt recommend one. im not having pain yet but my thing is why not do a ct scan to see if it is a stone so if it is i can be treated so i want endup having pain. how long can i have the stone before it starts to move and give me problems?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have two stones of the size of 5mm and 7mm in your right kidney detected on Ultrasound Scanning.You have no pain due to these stones .

Urologist whom you have consulted is not sure of whether these are stones or concretions.
and has suggested you to get CT scan done but has not advised it to do so.

Normally in majority of cases small stones up to the size 8mm pass down through ureter in to bladder and then through normal urinary passage without any treatment.

The pain in stone disease is not due to stone itself but is due to obstruction it causes to the flow of urine from calyxes to pelvis of the ureter or from pelvis of the ureter to bladder through ureter resulting in to proximal dilatation of ureter or pelvis (Called as Hydronephrosis) .

If you have no pain at present you can certainly wait and give nature its own time so that they (Stone or Concretions) can pass down without any treatment.This may perhaps be the reason your Urologist has not advised you to get CT scan done or any active treatment..

It is very difficult to predict when stone can give rise to pain.A non obstructing stone of a size of 2.5 cm can remain symptomless for years together where as a smallest obstructing stone of a size of rice granule can give rise to pain .

So do not worry drink more water and wait for stones to pas of their own and repeat your ultrasound scanning after 3 months to see the status of stones .The treatment if needed can be taken later .

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you