Have kidney stone. Will it be removed automatically or should I take medicine?

Urologist
Question
DEAR SIR ,
I AM HAVING 7.7mm STONE IN MY KIDNEY . AT PRESENT I AM HAVING NO PAIN . STONE WAS DETECTED 4 MONTHS BACK DURING ROUTINE CHECK UP . I AM TAKING LOT OF WATER AROUND 16 TO 17 GLASSES PER DAY WHICH IS AROUND 5 TO 6 LITRES . WHETHER THESE STONES CAN BE REMOVED AUTOMATICALY OR ANY MEDICATION WILL BE NEEDED . IF MEDICATION WILL BE NEEDED KINDLY PRESCRIBE THE MEDICINE , ITS DOSAGE , PROCEDURE OF TAKING IT . THANKING YOU ,
XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi

Welcome to XXXXXXX
7.7 MM stone is a borderline size for lithotripsy. Usually stone size more than 8 mm needs this treatment - where shock waves are delivered from outside the body to break the stone into small fragments( nearly powdered) - so that is easily passed in urine.
I would suggest to wait for 2 months to do a repeat scan, if you are pain free till that time. If the pain starts in between, you may need scan earlier. If the size is the same or more in the repeat scan, kindly go for lithotripsy. If smaller than 7 mm, then the following are advisable---
1. Plenty of oral fluids as you do now.
2. Restriction of red meat if you happen to take.
3. Restriction of alcohol.
You can follow the same from now on till the scan is done.
Hope this answers your query, kindly get back for doubts if any.

DR GS