Have kidney cancer and feeling weak. Started taking prednisone. How long will it take to cure?

my 83 year old father is totally bed ridden in the last month with total weakness from kidney cancer, doctor just started him on 80mg of prednisone a day, he has to get much stronger so they can take the kidney out. How long til he starts to get stronger from the prednisone?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Prednisone is not prescribed to get strength, though sometimes it helps to increase appetite. In cancerous patient the role of prednisone is not so clear. It may induce apoptotic cell death. It also decreases peritumour inflammatory edema (swelling around the tumour).
As a result, intervention during operation becomes less difficult.

It is very difficult to say how much time it will take to get adequate fitness. It depends on his nutrition, presence or absence of infection and physical condition.

Continue the medication according to doctor's advice.

I hope I have been some help of your query. Please write if you have any doubt.