Have keloid scarring on chest and shoulders. Are silicone gel sheets effective? Are keloid scars hereditary?

Hi I have a serious case of keloid scarring on my chest and shoulders, I wanted to know are silicone gel sheets effective? May keloids are non-active, have had them for year. I also have the choice of injections or laser..not sure which works best.

Finally are keloid scars hereditary? I am planning to get married soon and have a kid but am worried that these scars would be passed onto my children.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 minutes later
I have seen the images attached. In your case use of silicone gel based preparation alone would not work. The best treatment option for keloids is cryotherapy followed by intralesional injection of steroid alone or steroid with 5 fluorouracil. As your lesions are not too big, you will have good response in few sessions.
Cryotherapy is basically freezing the lesion with liquid nitrogen which has a very low temperature.

Lasers or surgeries are not good treatment option for keloids as chances of recurrence are quite high.

Tendency to have keloid scars is to some extent genetic or hereditary, however the risk is not absolute. So your offspring may or may not be prone to have keloids. Hence it should not be a deterrent to get married or have kids.
Should there be any doubt or you need any clarification regarding the treatment option mentioned, please write back.
Follow-up: Have keloid scarring on chest and shoulders. Are silicone gel sheets effective? Are keloid scars hereditary? 4 minutes later
Thank you for your response Doctor.

I am based in Dubai and the options here are limited. Would you recommend any specialists here for the above Cryotherapy?

Also if I were to have a kid, is there anything I can do to prevent them from suffering from keloids?

Lastly, can keloids lead to something more XXXXXXX such as cancer?

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 10 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Cryotherapy is a very basic procedure and is available with most of the dermatologists. If in case it is not, intralesional injection would be good enough too.
It would be difficult for me to help you out regarding doctors in Dubai. Let me assure you any competent dermatologist will treat you well as keloid is a common problem seen in our practice.

keloids usually form in response to any injury which could be as trivial as a mosquito bite. So please do not invest your precious time thinking about a probability that your kid can have similar lesion too. keloids can be genetic but the incidence is less.
Hope that answered your query.
Follow-up: Have keloid scarring on chest and shoulders. Are silicone gel sheets effective? Are keloid scars hereditary? 17 hours later
And keloids lead to cancer?
I just want to know if there is anything I can do at home as well to help with keloids, any specific diet or home remedy?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
I am so sorry that I did not answer your query regarding cancer and keloid.
Keloids as such are benign lesions with negligible chances of converting into cancer. Clinically a keloid turning into cancer has not been seen.
However theoretically any persistent and chronic inflammatory lesion can turn into cancer for example even a persistent mouth erosion, chronic wound or burn injury can become cancerous. For practical purposes, keloid turning into cancer is quite rare. So do not worry about these uncommon facts. Keloids are something that are seen commonly in clinical practice.
In your case Severe acne lesions seem to be a cause for keloidal lesions. So better treat your acne first to prevent further keloid lesions.
As such there is no home remedy or diet for keloid prevention.