Have joint pains in wrists, neck, fingers, knees and shoulders. Having fatigue and bloated stomach. Cause?

I have joint pains in wrists, neck, fingers, knees and shoulders. I also get pain in the area of my lower rib cage, on left hand side of my body. My stomach is bloated and I suffer from excessive wind, especially in the morning after sleeping. I do not eat an excessive amount and my wiehgt remains stable at 10lb, for a height of 5 foot 7inch. I am 62, My bowels movements have increased a lot over last few months. Sometimes the stoach pain is quite uncomfortable and I often feel surreal and light headed. I hae trouble digesting fats, espeically better which make me feel sick and nauseous. The areas in my body suffering from joint paints, sem to be on the increase and can also be in my knees and ankles. I occassionally getw twitchy legs. My throat has been sore and the neck muscles around it are uncomfortable. I have had ulcers in my mouth. I also siffer from huge fatigue where it can be hard to get through a day without needing to go to bed. Do you have any idea what could be causing such a myriad of problems I have had blood tests, which came back as negative.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Based on the symptoms you mentioned I suspect you to be suffering from two different conditions which could be unrelated or secondary effects of a single disease.

The joint pains you have, since has affected the small joints of fingers and ankle too could be due to inflammatory disease like rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. I consider a necessity for tests like RA (Rheumatoid factor) factor, CRP (C reactive protein), ESR (Erythrocyte sedimentation rate) to confirm the diagnosis. Do get the tests done if you haven't got them done. Meanwhile you can take painkillers like NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) to get some relief from pain.

The abdominal discomfort you have could be due to acid peptic disease which could be in the form of increased acidity. This could have lead to indigestion leading to malabsorption of vitamins resulting into mouth ulcers and fatigue you have. A better antacid, Proton pump inhibitors like Pantoprazole taken daily would solve the problem.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.