Have joint pain. Had hip and knee replacement. Can prolotherapy help?

Sheesh ... I love this. Is this for real?I am just clicking around regarding pain management. I saw "prolotherapy and start clicking and this page came up.
I have pain only when mobile. I can sit here at my monitor all day with no discomfort. Did I mention that I am 90+ years of age and trying to stick around for my big "C" . . . 2 knees and a rt hip replacement. Rt knee 1995, left knee 2003/ Rt hip 2005. Have been treated in every imaginal way to get relief. Still working at it. Name it and I think I have tried it. Prolotherapy sounds like something I have never heard about. Had a LASER mls Dr give me a costly quote. I do have Medicare and Regents supplemental.

Would love to explore some things that might bring relief. Currently using an Infared pad at various parts of my structure --> rt knee --> rt Groin area --> lower back ... new procedure ... might be helping. Curious as can be.

Your turn, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
combination therapy helps

Detailed Answer:

I admire your positive outlook and congratulate you for the attitude. This attitude along with good health mindset - doesn't just happen. It takes work, every day. And with this right attitude, you will achieve it.

Now I guess you have non inflammatory degenerative joint and disc disease (pain only when you move and happy to rest). There are not much of studies done about prolotherapy that too on people over 80 yrs of age.

However let me give my opinion here.

I think a combination therapy of prolotherapy ( injection of non irritant substances on the painful areas), massage therapy like spinal manipulation along with targeted exercises should get you pain relief. There is partial evidence behind this. You can choose one at a time and do a combination slowly. There is also good evidence written about acupuncture therapy. You may note this once the above combination does not work further.

For this you need experts guidance by Physical and rehab specialist, physical therapist, Orthopedic surgeon.

As I read Medicare does not cover prolotherapy as of now but it covers acupuncture. I would still request you to check at their helpline. VA and Workers compensation covers it.

Hope this helps.