Have itchy throat with clear and yellowish mucus. Not getting cured. What should I do?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hello, I have an itchy troat since two weeks with coughing especially at night that wakes me up. there is a lot of clear and yellowish mucus. I have tried mucinex and cough sirop and cough drops but not much seems to work. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since you had throat irritation since two weeks you should take an anti-allergic tablet such as levocetrizine 5 mg once a day under the supervision of a doctor. It may cause drowsiness. A decongestant may be added by your doctor.

2. As your cough increases after lying down, the source of the mucus is most probably the nasal sinuses.

3. Take regular steam inhalation and get an ENT Specialist to examine your nose and throat.

4. Check the type of cough syrup that you are taking. If it an expectorant or it contains a bronchodilator, it will increase the cough. Mucinex may initially increase the cough as it loosens the mucus and increases it's flow.

5. Use a medicated mouthwash to soothe the throat.

6. Further investigations including blood tests and Chest, Sinus X-rays may be required if the cough does not decrease after a week of the above mentioned treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have itchy throat with clear and yellowish mucus. Not getting cured. What should I do? 7 minutes later
What type of mouth was would you use. Is taking ibuprophen recommended too. How about the lovecetrizine: can I find that over the counter? Many thanks. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 minutes later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. You may use a Peridex / Periogard (chlorhexidine) mouth wash to gargle and it should be available OTC.

2. Ibuprofen is required only if there is severe pain or inflammation.

3. Levocetrizine (Xyzal) will be available only on prescription and not over the counter (OTC) in the US.

Regards.