Have itchy spots all over body. Found bed bugs. How to overcome this problem?

I have found bed bugs in my house and they are biting causing itchy spots all over body. Please advice on treatment for these and also any thing that I can apply to save myself from the bites in future.

I have a bed-ridden patient in my house and pest-control says that they need to have all people out of house for 4-5 hours. Any suggestions on how bed bugs are handled in presence of bed-ridden patients?

Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting the query,

Bed bugs are small insects which survive on human blood i.e. they suck human blood.This they do especially in night time.

They usually are present in sofas ,second hand mattresses , old furniture etc . Its important to check these areas and try eradicate insects from these areas.

They usually leave tiny little red bumps on the skin which might at times be itchy.You can apply any corticosteroid cream (like betamethasone) for few days to relive you with the symptoms. If there is any infection then you would also require to take oral antibiotics.

Once bedbugs have infested , a professional exterminator is often necessary to eradicate the insect.And this would serve as the best treatment for the same.A professional pesticide control team has to be called on for this.There are no XXXXXXX medicine which can save you from further attack & mechanical removal of insect is the best choice .

If you have any bed ridden patient I would advice you to keep him in isolation for few hours and the go for the pesticide treatment.

These are further tips to prevent from infestation:
Avoid second hand mattresses.
Avoid pets in house or closely examine the area where they sleep.
Clean you suitcases with vacuum cleaner.
Check you bed sheets for tell-tale blood spots.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.