Have itchy spot. Feeling prickly. Suggest

I have a sudden itchy spot, scratched it, went black but did not bleed. left it alone to heal, a year later it is intensly itchy and prickly all the time. am concerned it is a active mole. I do not have moles in general but this one seems to have found me.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 19 hours later

Thanks for your query

I understand your concern and hope I am able to help you for the same

As I understand, you had a mole since a year which was a silent one, But now it has suddenly started to itch.

First, I would like to see the lesion .It would be really helpful if you can click a close up picture of the affected area and upload it here on this page or mail it to my attention. I will be able to access XXXXXXX sent to attachments@healthcaremagic. Please send your mail to this address with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Geethika"

Now as far as the lesion is concerned, it is true that any kind of pigmented lesion which suddenly develops the following changes can be a matter of concern :
Sudden change in size
Sudden change in shape
Development of irregular pigmentation
Altered sensation like itching or pricking
Any abnormal bleed

All the above mentioned signs suggest that the lesion needs further evaluation in the form of a specialist opinion and a skin biopsy if required.
However, sometimes there can also be sudden development of an eczematous skin condition over any mole and the surrounding area. This can present as redness, scaling and oozing from the lesion associated with itching. Such eczematous changes can be totally benign and they resolve with the use of simple topical steroids.

So I would say that since you have been vigilant enough to note the early changes shown by the mole, I am sure that there is nothing to be worried about. Please send me some pictures of the same so that I can have a closer view of the lesion and then we can decide the further action accordingly.
Also mention the exact site of the lesion to know whether it is at a sun exposed site or not.

Waiting for your reply

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Have itchy spot. Feeling prickly. Suggest 1 hour later
Not quite the spot thing started up about a year ago I had no sign of it prior to that. when I scratched it it began to look like the top of a volcano with a black hole in the middle. It did not bleed. It was then intensely itchy. so I left it to heal. it calmed down but then stayed like the picture I sent. But now a year later it has begun itching and prickling intensely again and the little spot is proud of the skin so it is like a little bump and is very strong. I cant see where to upload more photos.
Additionally my skin is very smooth and not eczema or dry.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Having seen the pictures that you have sent, I can assure you that it is not what we were thinking about.
The lesion looks more like a small persistent sebaceous cyst. The black dot that you mention is the remnant of the hair follicle around which the lesion develops.

Such lesions are usually asymptomatic and do not cause any problems. Only occasionally these lesions can present with itching or pain or some discharge.

As in your case, you are having itching over the lesion, all you need to do is to apply a topical steroid like mometasone over the lesion twice daily for 3 to 4 days and take a short course of oral antihistamines like Benadryl. Try not to touch the lesion, as continuous itching might lead to skin irritation and increase in its size. In such cases, surgical removal of the lesion has to be done.
If you have any other query, please let me know

Dr Geetika Paul