Have itchy skin on arms, used E45 cream but developed red cuts and orange fluid oozed out. Suggest?

Hi Im a 43 year old Woman,I dont smoke and Im fairly fit,Ive had what seems like itchy skin on my arms since the end of march this year Ive used E45 cream which has helped with the itch but Ive developed alot of red cuts also from it to-day orange type of fluid oozed from 1 cut and has since dried up..I was just wondering what does this orange type fluid indicate?perhaps an infection?Thank you so much,Patricia.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Usually, yellow, or orange colored fluid from a blister or skin lesion is a mixture of extracellular fluid with proteins indicating the presence of an inflammatory process; sometimes, an infection may be the cause of the inflammation. With chronic skin lesions that itch and stratch, there may be a superimposed bacterial infection (eg. impetigo) that may manifest as honey-colored, crusty fluid. I recommend you see a provider that can assess the lesions and even perhaps do some scrappings for culture if needed and the diagnosis is still in question.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic Rochester