Have itchy skin. Blood test showed mild leucocytosis and eosinophilla. What does this mean?

Mar 2016

I have got my blood test done which says Mild leucocytosis, Eosinophilla
I am not facing any problem right now except itching on skin
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. S Patra 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, I like to comment on over all test reports. There is slight high level of total leukocyte & eosinophil count than normal range. It is called eosinophilic leukocytosis in medical term (that you already told) and leading cause of the itching of skin that you are facing now.

The most common underlying pathology for eosinophilia is allergies in the form of bronchial asthma, pollen/ dust particle, certain food stuffs (commonly egg, milk, wheat, soya, sea foods, peanuts, brinjal, prawn etc), lymph node enlargement or seasonal change etc. It can be associated with a parasitic infection in the form of abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever, cough etc or occur due to some skin diseases/ effect of certain medication.

In case of parasitic infection, one stool test is suggested to rule out underlying pathogen. Complete treatment depends on the pin point diagnosis of causative factors. You may need to take anti histamines (like cetirizine) or anti parasite drug therapy along with external cream/ lotion for soothing effect of the skin. So, please consult with your dermatologist for proper medication after complete investigation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.