Have itchy red rashes in groin area, burning sensation on penis tip. Do I have herpes?

Hi i get mild itchiness in the groin area. Usually when I am sitting down or not active. When moving around I don't really notice it much. When I scratch on the scrotum or penis (usually at that base of the shaft) it becomes red as you might expect and then kind of goes away. I have very mild redness and inflammation at the tip of my penis as well. Also every time I urinate, at the start of my stream (just at the beginning) I have a little burning at the tip. It goes away right after I start to pee. Also when I consume a lot of alcohol the next morning my entire scrotum will be kind of a bright red color... I have seen many doctors and have been diagnosed with various things (prostatitis, meatitis, psoriasis, etc.) I've also been tested for everything, all negative. I had one swab test for herpes in the urethra, also negative. It isn't something that really is too concerning for me but my biggest fear having read that itching in the groin is a symptom of herpes, is that I have herpes. I've never had unprotected sex, but have received unprotected oral. I've never had any blisters or sores. Never an "outbreak" if you will, but mentally I just can't get passed it. Thoughts, help?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The itches you experience round the groin , without any past history of eruptions or groin rashes, no fluid contains rashes, absence of history of unprotected sex make the possibility of genital herpes very unlikely. However, in some rare cases, Oral Herpes Simplex could be found in the genital areas. But however, even i this situation, eruptions or ulcerations and permanent itches are at least expected to occur at some stage in the clinical picture which is not seen in your case. This therefore makes the possibility of genital herpes simplex very unlikely.
It would interesting to know a few things. Any history of associated joint pain? A clinical evaluation of the penile area to exclude other skin associated causes of itches around genitals (fungal infection, autoimmune or inflammatory process) would be very appropriate.
There is what is called chronic urethritis, when the urethra is inflamed from a non identified infectious cause, after all the possible tests on all possible common infections have been run, and has a given therapeutic scheme to be followed.
My suggestion is actually booking an appointment with a dermatologist/venerologist for a reevaluation and opinion. In some cases, psychological components might explain symptoms in some rare conditions.
Thanks and hope this helps. For now, do not worry much and be good. Wishing you good health.
Best regards,