Have itchy red bumps on arms, legs and back. Had cortisone shot. Any effective cure?

I have a rash that heas been with me for about 3-4 mths. It started as a couple of red bumps on my arm that itched. Now I have them on my legs, arms and back. They dont itch as bad as they did when it first appeared. I have been to 3 doctors who do not know what it is. I have been on hydroxyzine and prednison twice but nothing helped. I even had a cortisone shot that did not help. The steroid helped prevent spreading but thats it. I am so confused about what this may be. It came out of nowhere. I even used mite cream prescribed by the doctor just in case, but no one in my home has it. It has made me look hideous. The look like flea bites, but some are tiny tiny blister like lesions. The bumps are not big at all. there is just so many of them and they have spread to the tops of my hands as well.
Posted Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

I will be glad to be of assistance.

From the description that you gave could indicate a vesiculobullous disease where there are fluid filled blisters.

The treatment of that is medications like steroids and methotrexate, azathioprine etc.

However it would be best to see a dermatologist for the same and discuss my suggestions with him.

In case you would like to post a picture here you can attach it with the upload feature available.
the picture would give me a better idea of your condition.

Follow-up: Have itchy red bumps on arms, legs and back. Had cortisone shot. Any effective cure? 19 hours later
I sent you a couple of pictures.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 15 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I checked out the pictures and it does seem to be a bit difficult to diagnose.
It seems to be a condition called prurigo mitis. The other possibility is acrokeratosis veruciformis on the hands.

I would recommend that you visit a dermatologist and ask him to do a skin biopsy.

That is necessary in difficult to diagnose cases.

The skin biopsy will confirm the diagnosis.

You can try elidel cream on it. You will need a prescription for it.