Have itchy, red and scaly spot on cheek. What treatment should be done?

i have a tiny red spot on my cheek. it is occasionly somewhat itchy & a little scaley. i've had it for about a year & it won't go away, just stays about the same.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The spot that you have described could be due to-
Contact dermatitis- A skin reaction resulting from exposure to allergens or irritants. Phototoxic dermatitis is a possibility when the allergen or irritant is activated by sunlight.
Psoriasis- Usually causes multiple red, itchy, scaly patches
Tinea- skin mycoses. Usually recurrent if not treated properly.
A direct examination by a dermatologist is the best way to get it diagnosed.
Most of the times, this can be taken care of by topical application of 1% hydrocortisone cream available over the counter. You can also use medicated calamine lotion for relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.