Have itchy rashes on stomach above waist line. What could this be?

Dermatologist
Question
XXXXXXX am a 27 year old male and have a rash on my stomach right above my waist line. It comes and goes and itches. There aren't any blisters just dry until I scratch it open. I have no rashes or breakouts on my face or genitals. what could this be. Its been reoccurring for about a year.
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later
hello,

Thanks for posting your query. I will be glad to be of assistance.

you seem to be having urticaria. its also called hives. its a condition where there are red raised lesions on the body with lot of itching.

these lesions are of various sizes and shapes and they come and go on their own. they need prompt treatment.

urticaria may be idiopathic or may have a variety of causative factors, there is an exhaustive list available but to tell you the truth its really difficult to pin point one thing.

the best thing to do is to start prompt treatment for immediate relief.

tablet fexofenadine 180 mg once in the morning and tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at night for 3 months. its necessary to take medications for atleast 3 months to suppress the process.

you can apply calamine lotion on the rash to soothe it. twice a day till there is a rash.

Please let me know if my recommendations are helpful.

Also let me know if I can address any other additional concerns for you.

Regards.