Have itchy raised lump inside elbow crease. Lymph node swelling due to an ear infection?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a raised lump on the inside of the elbow crease which is itchy. My skin is NOT dry, no flakes, no rash.

I thought it was an insect bite but it has been around for 3 weeks now. Its NOT a hard lump just a fatty "bump"
I can see it when i straighten my arm out with my palm facing up its aparant but when i have my arm relaxed or at a 90degree angle it looks the same as my other arm.

could this be an enlarged epitrochlear lymph node related to a bad ear infection i had about 3-4 weeks ago or something else. Im not 100% sure where the lymph node is located in the elbow area.

Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
The small swelling in the crease of your elbow cannot be a lymph node swelling due to an ear infection. Ear infection can cause enlargement of neck glands but not of any glands in the elbow or arm.
The swelling you have described is likely to be due to a lipoma, ganglion cyst, tendonitis or a sebaceous cyst. All these are benign swellings and can be treated easily.
Proper clinical examination & MRI can pinpoint the exact diagnosis & treatment can be planned accordingly.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have itchy raised lump inside elbow crease. Lymph node swelling due to an ear infection? 14 minutes later
So where abouts is the Lymph node in the elbow? is it in the same area as i have described?
It is likely that a lipoma, ganglion cyst, tendonitis or a sebaceous cyst would be itchy? as it is very bothersome.

I do have a secaceous cyst on the back of my neck but it is very hard and small where as this is softer and about 2cm wide.

thankyou for your understanding.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Epitrochlear lymph nodes are present in the area but these are not likely to cause a visible swelling unless it is considerably enlarged.
The itchy lesion can be due to local skin reaction to inflammation in the area. The soft consistency is more likely to be due to a lipoma. However a direct examination is an integral part of diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.