Have itchy pus filed spot on foot. Should I use both benadryl cream and neosporin?

I have a .5cmx.5cm pus filled spot on bottom of right foot, I think it may be a bug bite, it iiches but has no red streaks forming from the pus filled area. Should I use both benedryl cream and neiosporin or just one of these? Thanks, XXXXXXX - YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

The general rule is to drain all pus collections. The main treatment wil be an incision and drainage. Incision can be done with a sterile blade and drainage by applying pressure. If simple pressure can force the pus out, then you will not need to incise with the sterile blade.

Benedryl cream contains diphenhydramine which is an antihistamine and effective in controlling itch symptoms. However, oral forms of antihistamine such chlopheniramine will do since you have but a pus collection that will need to be open.
Neosporin is said to be antibacterial but its effectiveness is doubtful and is even thought to rather cause resistance of bacteria. A good antibacterial cream is neomycin or simple penicillin cream.

So, you should drain the pus and clean well with clean water. You might consider to use neomycin cream or penicillin cream. If itch is unbearable, you could use antihistamine drugs such chlorpheniramine tablets.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards