Have itchy, painful and white bumps in vagina. What could be causing this?

Question
I have white bumps in my vagina, they are painful and itch constantly. It starts off as just a couple then multiply and usually last one to two weeks. This happened when i was 18 and was so bad it hurt to sit, this is probably the second to third time of occurance and im 24 now. Ive never seen a doctor for it and scared to. What could this be?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 26 minutes later

White bumps in the vagina are caused by a variety of causes- simple friction, hormonal changes associated with a menstrual cycle, excessive sweating; coming to the more serious causes, we have, Bartholin cysts, Genital Herpes, HPV, sebaceous cysts and vaginal infections.

As your bumps resemble an eruption which subsides after a couple of weeks they are more likely caused by a viral infection. You need to get a gynecological examination to localize the cause for proper treatment. Do not get worried about the exam, it is easily done. More harm is done if you keep the problem to yourself without getting the proper diagnosis and treatment.

Maintain personal hygiene and if you are sexually active take proper precautions to protect yourself from sexually transmitted diseases.

Hope I have clarified your query. If you have any further doubts, please feel free to contact me. I will be ready to help.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Shanti.V.