Have itchy nose, sticky eye and coughing up phlegm. Am I having allergy problem?

ENT Specialist
phlemy cough more so in the morning nasel passages red raw sound nasely due to congestion gets beter as day goes on sometimes have itchy nose and sticky eyes had it now for 3months beconaise nose spray usually works to dry everything up do you think this could be an allergy never had allegys before
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

Your brief history is suggestive of chronic sinusitis. Beclomethasone nasal spray is recommended if you have allergic symptoms, such as early morning sneezing, running nose, difficulty in breathing, etc.

My suggestions to you is:
1. To use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day followed by steam inhalation. Saline keeps the nasal mucosa moist, reduce the irritation and clears the sinus secretions.
2. Drink plenty of warm water - warm water reduces the inflammation, keeps the tissues hydrated and helps in easy clearance of the sinus secretions.
3. A mucolytic such as ambroxol or bromhexine helps to reduce the consistency of the secretions and also decreases the production of the sinus secretions.
4. Avoid chilled food and beverages, smoking, sleeping under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

Do not worry! With these above measures you will definitely alright.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have itchy nose, sticky eye and coughing up phlegm. Am I having allergy problem? 7 minutes later
but if it is chronic sinusitis would it not cause pain and headaches
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 34 minutes later

Welcome back

Chronic sinusitis without blockage of the osteomeatal complex (the entrance of the maxillary, frontal and anterior ethmoidal sinuses) will not have headache or pain. Those individuals having only the inflammation of the sinus mucosa or hypertrophied turbinates present with excessive discharge from the nose and sinus.

If it were to be allergic rhinitis, then an individual presents with recurrent nasal block, sneezing, itching in the nose and eyes, redness of the eyes, etc.

Hope this clarifies your doubt. I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon