Have itchy lump between ribs on back. Could it be lipoma?

I have a lump between ribs on right back. Does not hurt. Started out as though it was an insect bite, but has grown. Some itchiness. Some numbness noted in surrounding area. Nurse practitioner suggested seeing surgeon, though she believes it is a lipoma. Just questioning if I should see dermatologist or find a surgeon. Hx. of melanoma in family (first cousin died from this). Familial hx of heart disease (mother died); thyroid cancer (sister), kidney cancer (brother). Both survived. Have had high triglycerides of 170. Cholesterol 191. On syntroid of hypothyroidism. Had cholecystecomy, complete hysterectomy, one c/section, and tonsillectomy.
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The condition you are describing can be lipoma ,sebaceous cyst,lymph node etc.

All of the above are non cancerous.

Also I would like to know-
Since when you have this?
Has it grown slowly?What is the size like?
What is the consistency like soft/firm /hard?
Can you see any visible punctum/black dot/opening over the lump?

Answer the questions to help you better.

It would be wise to see a surgeon for this swelling .Surgeon can decide upon whether to remove it or observe it.

Also a fine needle aspiration cytology may be needed.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.