Have itchy leg. No relief from allegra. Worried for pollen allergy

Question
I itch on my legs no constantly and not sever. I'm out side a lot. Tried allegra and lotion no other symptoms. Could this be from pollen allergies cause I do have a sinus infection right now?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Skin allergy could be a cause for itching of skin.

To identify if a particular substance is a cause of skin allergy requires specific testing.

However if after contact with a particular substance you get itching then you can identify that particular substance to be causing skin allergy.

If you have allergic rhinitis (sneezing, nasal discharge etc after exposure to a specific substance like pollen) then there is increased chance for you to have skin allergy also associated. Normally various allergies like skin allergy, nasal allergy, eye allergy (allergic conjunctivitis) can occur together in a person.

There are various other causes of itching of skin like eczema, scabies etc and a physical examination is required to arrive at a diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Have itchy leg. No relief from allegra. Worried for pollen allergy 5 minutes later
I have no rash no swollen lymph nodes, and I do have nasal discharge. Should I be worried could be dangerouse it's not sever and I really don't scratch it just annoying

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 2 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

Do not worry.

It could be because of various causes as I already discussed (including skin allergy, insect bite, scabies, eczema, prickly heat or heat rash (miliaria rubra) etc).
A simple physical examination by your doctor will help in identifying the diagnosis.

Hope this helps.