Have itchy fungi in coccyx area. Not cured by lamisil. How to get rid of it?

I have a fungi, in my coccyx area(tail bone) how can i get rid of it it so itchy and bothersome. My Dr. give a anti fungi medication LAMINSILit seems it`s not working, he told me to use for the next 6 months. Please help to get rid of it.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
To treat fungal infection in tail bone area, you may follow these suggestions
1) keep the area as much dry as possible and dust the area with antifungal powder
2) wear loose cotton underclothes
3) take oral antiallergic like cetirizine to relieve the itch
4) apply a steroid antifungal cream like mometasone terbinafine combination over the rash
5) also take a course of oral antifungal like fluconazole or terbinafine or itraconazole as fungal infection in this area may not respond to topical therapy alone.
Hopefully you will have response in couple of weeks
Hope that answers your query. Should there be more query, I would be happy to assist you further.
Follow-up: Have itchy fungi in coccyx area. Not cured by lamisil. How to get rid of it? 7 hours later
Helo Dr. Kalpana,
Is thier any basic things that I can do for my tail bone fungal with out taking any oral medication . You mention steroid anti fungal cream mometasone terbinafine or itraconnazole. I do not think I can get this steroid anti fungal here in Canada with out seeing an specialist. Most likely what is available to me are over the counter medications.
Thanks for writing back.
To treat your infection
Keep the area dry and dust it with antifungal clotrimazole powder.
You may get a mild steroid like hydrocortisone over the counter, apply lamisil and steroid by mixing in 1:1 ratio
Take oral anti itch tablet to prevent itching as itching exacerbates the lesion more( Benadryl or cetirizine)
Also I guess tablet fluconazole is available as over the counter. You may take tablet fluconazole 150 mg once in a week for 4 to 6 weeks.
These all may help in treating your infection. However I would always advise you to consult your specialist and let him know that topical cream is not working. So that he can prescribe oral medicines too.
Hope that answers your query. If there is any other doubt, feel free to write back. I would be happy to assist you.