Have itchy external hemorrhoid. No bleeding. Constipated. Get stomach pain. What to do?

Hi, I am a male, 25, 5.11'', 158 lbs. I seem to have a small external hemorrhoid, possibly XXXXXXX as well. No bleeding other than an occasional bit on toilet paper. A little itching. so far its been 4 days. Almost no pain in that area. I do remember holding my stool for long a couple of times (i try to avoid doing it on public restroom so I hold it in, until I get home) and the morning before I really strained hard on my last stool later that day I felt the lump and really constipated as well. I did allot of research on the internet and figured it was an external hemorrhoid. since then I have been eating allot of fruits and fibers, it seems to be working for my stool (i pretty much have diarrhea- no laxatives, just fruits and some Chinese tea). I do get stomach pain once in a while. (prob because of my drastic change to 90% fruit diet.) I have been doing some sitz baths daily (2ice a day). and im placing ice cold compress on the area. also i have been using "Musk hemorrhoids ointment" day and night.

For the looks of it, its been improving. The hemorrhoid shrunk in its size. I still feel a bit constipated and my stomach still feels a bit wired. (again probably because of my diet change)

OK now my questions:

About the ointment:
I have heard the Musk ointment is powerful and shouldn't be used for long, when should i stop using it? (i'm already experiencing great results and improvement)

Hemorrhoid itself:
how can I know if its for sure external? How long will it take to heal? does it heal completely with time? Does hemorrhoid come back after a while? if i have it once, does it mean I have higher chances on getting it again? (considering, that I will stop my bad habits of holding my stool in).

New pain:
Lately i seem to be getting a new pain, i am not sure if its related to the hemorrhoid, or maybe it can mean something else? it seems to be on my right Ischium bone. I'm not 100% sure it's there, but there is definitely a sharp pain on that area. The pain does not seem strongly related to sitting. Its not a very strong pain, but still sharp and annoying.

Thank you,
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Hemorrhoids is venous bulge due to increases venous pressure. I may be due to local or systemic cause.

Local due to hard stools and constipation.

Systemic due to Portal venous hypertension.

So the treatment approach also depends on the causes.

You're an young adult and the cause may be local.

Already you're managing the hemorrhoids well.

1. Follow a higher fiber diet.
2. Avoid holding the stool.
3. Avoid constipation.
4. Take plenty of water.

These are home remedies.

Hemorrhoids needs medical evaluation.

It has chance of infection, ulceration and necrosis.
Recurrence is very common it the cause is not eliminated.

A per rectal examination and colonoscopy is needed to assess the size. position and type of hemorrhoids.

Do consult a surgeon.
The treatment of choice is mostly surgery and you can discuss it with your doctor.

MUSK OINTMENT is a commercial product and is not a pharmacological agent(Drug).
So I'm not in a position to make comments and recommendations of the product.

Take the help of your local doctor.

Dietary changes with help in limiting the progress of hemorrhoids and it is
But that alone will not cure it.
Have a mixed diet instead of having a predominant fruit diet.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.