Have itchy ears, minor pain, fullness and tinnitus. Is it Otomycosis or fungal infection?

ENT Specialist
Is it possible to have Otomycosis without any visible signs by an ENT upon fully examining the ear. I have been exposed to Asp. Niger fungus and have itchy ears, minor pain, fullness and tinitus. My hearing has been affected slightly as confirmed by a hearing test. I am scheduled for an MRI in a couple of weeks. Will the MRI show a fungal infection?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. It is unlikely that any clinically significant otomycosis is undetectable on otoscopy.

2. Itchy ears may be due to referred sensation from as far away as the abdomen (gastritis, acidity).

3. Dryness of the ear skin due to repeated cleaning may result in minor pain, discomfort and the fullness may be dur to mild inflammation.

4. Tinnitus may be due to normal age induced hearing loss (Presbyacusis). Get a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) done. If these two investigations and the ear examination is normal, there is no cause for worry.

5. An MRI will not miss a fungal infection. MRI Scans pick up fungal infections better than CT Scans.

5. Are you on any ear drops?

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.