Have itchy brown spots on skin. Spots turn white when I get sunburn. What to do?

i have brownish spots on my skin that gets itchy when im hot, if i get a sunburn or suntan the browns spots turn white
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 10 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic.
Could you give me a few more details?
Where are the brown spots located?
For how many months have you had them?
Do they itch otherwise ( even when you are not feeling hot?)
You have an option of uploading your clinical pictures. It would give us much more clarity if you could do that.
Dr. Johny
Follow-up: Have itchy brown spots on skin. Spots turn white when I get sunburn. What to do? 22 hours later
no they dont itch when im not feeling hot they are from my shoulder to my waist fron and back i have had them for about 4 years when its itchy its my back thats itchy
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 2 hours later
Welcome back.
From your description it could be a condition called pityriasis versicolor. It is due to an yeast called Malazessia. The treatment for Pityriasis versicolor is Stat dose of Tablet fluconazole 400 mg on day 1 and repeat another stat dose of fluconazole 400 mg after 1 week, ie day 8, after food. Ketoconazole cream (Nizoral) can be applied twice a day for two weeks.

However as Dermatology is a visual field of medicine and as there are a lot of skin diseases which can have this distribution I will request you to upload a picture of the rash so that I can confirm it. You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'.
If that is not possible I will recommend you to consult a dermatologist for closer examination and to confirm my provisional diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help