Have itchy and dry mole in mouth. Should I be concerned?

I have a mole by my mouth and it recently started bothering me, its itchy and dry and this may sound weird but I can feel it. I've had the mole my whole life I am 30 yrs old. should I get it looked at? its never bother me before
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Either eczema or malignant change. Get biopsy done Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. I understand your concern regarding a mole which is now showing signs of altered sensations. Firstly, it is good to be aware of certain things. Like in your case, I appreciate that you recognize that such signs can be a signal to something else. Any long standing mole which either suddenly increases in size or there is an alteration in shape or it develops a sudden change in color or if there are any altered sensations in the form of itching,pain or bleeding, then it is surely a matter of concern. We need to rule out any malignant transformation in such cases. I would like to know if you have noticed any change in shape, size or color of the mole in recent times. In such cases, an immediate appointment with a dermatologist is essential. If your doctor feels like, then a skin biopsy is also advised. But at the same time, you should understand that itching is not necessarily a reason to worry.There are other factors as well which can lead to itching in moles like an eczematous reaction on or around the mole is a common reason for itching. Such reactions are harmless and are treated only with application of topical steroid creams. So I would advise you to see a dermatologist soon who can make a proper diagnosis of the condition and guide you. Hope it helps. If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: Have itchy and dry mole in mouth. Should I be concerned? 39 hours later
I have not notice any color changes nor size changes, I think I might of accidently shaved over my mole due to hair being on it. kinda runs through my mustache line. but I will still get it checked outn
Brief Answer: To rule out eczematous change in mole Detailed Answer: Hi, From what you say, it does look like that it can be either eczematous or traumatic. But we always need to be cautious about any such lesions especially when they develop over the face. It would be great if you can click some close up pictures of the same and upload them here over this page. You can also email them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. I am sure that I would be able to help you more once I take a look at the pictures. In the mean time, till you get an appointment with a dermatologist you can start application of a mild topical steroid cream over the affected area. This will help us in ruling out eczema. Hope it helps, Dr Geetika Paul.