Have itchy and bleeding hand. Taking steroid shots. Chances of bacterial infection?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Bacteria Infection I have had 3 rounds of antibiotics I have finally got rid of it but my right hand continues to itch & split open & bleed the Dr. keeps giving me steroid shots it helps for a short time then comes back could I have an infection throughout my entire body.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
The itching and splitting of the skin associated with bleeding is likely to be related to an immune related skin disorder like psoriasis. Since the lesions do improve on taking steroids and the lesions are recurrent, an autoimmune problem is likely.
A direct examination by a dermatologist and a skin biopsy will help in confirmation of diagnosis.
Such lesions may show a superadded infection if these are not treated appropriately. An infection of skin throughout the body is not likely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have itchy and bleeding hand. Taking steroid shots. Chances of bacterial infection? 45 minutes later
Thank you Dr. for your help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again through my profile URL
If you have no more questions, please close the discussion and rate the answer.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards