Ask a Urologist   »  

Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile dysfuntion. Need an anti-fungal cream

Question
Hi, I am 58 and 182 pounds. For about a year now I do not feel the need for sex that often and I suspect it s due to low testosterone, and also perhaps work related stress,financial issues,etc...I have been trying to work out at the gym every other day but not much improvement. I also have problem with erection and easy/fast ejaculation. I need to know that other than Viagra and similar drugs, what I need to do, especially improving my sex life through certain foods that you may recommend, certain exercise, etc...? I have been having itching around my penis and the whole gentile area, and I need to know what kind of over the counter medicine I could use in the USA. I am guessing it is due to some fungus issue because I used hair remover cream about two weeks ago and it burned me as soon as I applied it. Then, after shower I used antibacterial cream (Neosporin) for 2-3 days, and since then I have been using hot whirlpool and steam sauna at the gym as it has been my routine for months. I suspect I had this fungus issue even before using the hair remover cream because as soon as I used it it started burning (it has happened before in the past ten years multiple times), which means my skin was already affected by something, perhaps small cracks in the skin already were there when I applied the hair remover cream. So, what can I do to get rid of this itching? I am trying to keep the area clean and dry, out of bacteria, but for the fungus/itching I am not sure what tropical over the counter cream is safe to use.

Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 59 minutes later
Hi

About the skin problem, there are some anti-fungal creams available in pharmacies without prescription. I will suggest miconazole cream, since it's effect lasts for 2-3 days. In USA it is available under the brand name Monistat.

About the problems with sex-life, I think you need to get some investigations done. As you are suspecting low testosterone, It is better to get the blood testosterone levels tested. Alongwith testosterone, also get blood tested for gonadotropins, thyroid function and prolactin.

For premature ejaculation, the treatment is usually psychosocial. Some techniques, like squeeze-pause technique can be used. Medicines are also effective but should be tried after all other methods have been tried. Anti-depressant tablets can be used if this problem is caused by stress.

Stress is the most common cause of erectile dysfunction. I want you to take life as it comes. Do exercise or walk for at least 20 min a day. Do not over-exert yourself during exercises. When you feel really stressed, you may try contracting the muscles of the whole body and then slowly letting them go. Before dinner, sit alone in a closed room for 15-20 min to let go of the stress.
Among food, you can increase fruits and vegetables in your diet to at least 5 servings in a day.

You need to see a physician to get to the cause of sexual dysfunction.

Hope I addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj

Follow-up: Have itching on the penis, premature ejaculation and erectile dysfuntion. Need an anti-fungal cream 3 days later
Hi you recommended Monistat, but all available products under this name are in women section for vaginal use due to yeast infection. Are you suggesting that I use the same thing? Is yeast the same as fungus? Is this cream applicable to men and women?

Do you know of any other product that I could use? I bought a cream called Lotrimin for Athlete's foot, which is anti fungal cream (Clotirazole Cream), but I am not sure if this is safe for gentiles?

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Usually we use the word Fungus for yeast or candida in medicine. Though Fungus is a general term that includes many other organisms like trichophyton, etc.

Both clotrimozole and miconazole can fight yeast infection that is causing skin infection in you. Athletes' foot can be caused by yeast, trichophyton and some other fungi.

Though clotrimazoloe can be used for your infection but it is better to stick to preparation meant to fight infection on the mucosa.
Monistat is good for you. This cream can be used for both men and women.

Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj