Have itching on eye, starts with edge itching and eyes become red with rubbing. Suggest?

Hi, I have itching on only my left eye from past many days. I don't have it daily, but once or twice a week. it starts with edge itching and when I rub it, eye becomes dark red. it goes away when I wash my eyes and sleep for some time. can u please suggest some eye drop?
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Itchy eyes are commonly seen in allergy. With a long history, the most probable diagnosis would be allergy. This can be confirmed only after an examination by an ophthalmologist.

I would suggest not to rub your eyes when you get the itching. because, rubbing would cause more of histamines to be released and would cause further worsening of the symptom. This may also cause scratches to appear on the surface of the eye.

You could do the following to reduce the allergens.
- Regular vacuum cleaning of your rooms.
- Keep the windows shut.
- Avoid smoking, especially inside the room.
- Wash your exposed areas, whenever you come from outside.

Further, if the symptoms does not subside, you will have to consult an ophthalmologist to get it checked and get a prescription of eye drops. Without a physical examination it is XXXXXXX to use eye drops.

Hope this addresses your concern. let me know if I could assist you further.