Have itching on ankle. Using vinegar and dettol didn't hurt, only scratching. Taking doxycycline and lactic acid

Hello Doc...I have been facing a problem of itching on my right leg above the ankle area....I started itching..I also pour vinegar on the didnt hurt me later I tried washing with dettol liquid...still it didnt pain me....only scratching on my right leg...and that wound is spreading on my full leg..its become reddish and the skin has remained as if its swollen.....but the wound is not it scratches a lot...a doc advised me Candiderma+ Cream, with capsules thrice a day i.e. Doxycycline and Lactic Acid Bacilus Doxy-1 L - DR Forte, A to Z capsules as vitamins only in mornings & 1 only in the night Cetirizine Hydrochloride Tablets I.P Incid - L...I have been taking this treatment for 3 days I didnt find any results in it...and this scratching started on became worse on my face is scratching....and both hands have started scratching.....i have been tying the wound with gauge & cotton as advised by doc...and cleaning it with Neiko Soap....still no results yet.....Please help & advise....
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 39 minutes later

I have went through your history and pictures and I feel you have developed an infective eczema over your leg. In simple words, you may have had an infected focus over the leg which has not developed into a strong allergic response leading to itching over hands and face.

I do understand your concern regarding your skin concern, but I advise you to immediately stop using any home remedies over the lesion as it would exacerbate the skin lesions. You should not use things like vinegar or even dettol over the affected area.

As the the treatment prescribed by your doctor has not helped much, I advise the following measures:
1. You need to keep the area clean and dry.
2. You can clean it twice a day with just lukewarm water or you may even use warm saline water for cleaning it.
3. After cleaning, you need to apply a topical antibiotic/ steroid combination cream over the affected area.
4. Keep the affected area open. Do not apply bandage over the affected area as it prevents the wound from drying and keeps the skin macerated and wet for longer period of time.
5. Use a simple soap, no need of a special medicated soap as the area is already allergic.
Wear cotton lowers so as to prevent much friction.
Do not apply oils or any other creams or lotions over the affected area.

As far as oral therapy is concerned, a stronger antibiotic like amoxycillin- clavulinic acid would help you more in quicker healing.

As itching is troubling, you can take oral antihistamines like cetrizine once or twice a day.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr Geetika Paul