Have itching in anal region and pain in hip joint. Tested positive for HSV. Any suggestion?

I have had an chronic anal itch that I thought might be prostatitis. I took an STD test that came back positive for HSV 1. Could that be causing the anal itch? I have also noticed pain in my hip joints that I thought came from cycling.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
The itching in the anal region is unlikely to be caused due to HSV-1 unless there are local lesions due to the virus which in site are caused mostly by HSV-2.
Rather there can be a persistent local infection fungal, bacterial or viral which may be a cause.
It can be caused by local wet environment like sweating or leaking of watery part of stool in small amount to create the trouble.
You should get yourself examined by a surgeon/physician of your locality.
Optionally you can use the OTC Powder containing antifungal and antibacterial content eg. ABZORB thrice a day and keep the area dry by putting a tissue paper between the buttocks to keep the anal region dry.
You may have a drastic relief if not so then you surely must get evaluated by a local clinician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.