Have itching and soreness around breast. Cause and cure?

47 healthy woman itchy breasts and soreness around breast
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal imbalance.If unilateral needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Only itching and soreness does not tell about any breast cancer. The symptoms may be due to other cause. So no need to worry for any cancer.

I like to exclude the following most frequent causes based on the clinical features and some investigations where ever required.
1. Hormonal imbalance: You may experience symptoms in both breast.
Keeping your age (47 years) in mind, I like to exclude any hormonal imbalance because around age of 45 the estrogen and progesterone hormones tends to vary (Pre-Menopausal syndrome). This is normal.This will be associated with other symptoms like hot flashes, fatigue, irregular periods etc.

2. Allergy/ Infection: Usually unilateral problem.
Allergy usually presents with itching and there may be rashes. If you can see any inflammatory signs like redness, swelling around breast area then that may suggest infection. If no physical signs are present then no need to worry for it.

3. Breast pathology: Usually unilateral problem.
If you experience severe pain or swelling / nipple discharge or any other unusual features then it suggest some problem in breast. If present you need to consult your doctor for further evaluation.

4. For now you can use NSAID like Ibuprofen 400mg for pain and antihistamine like loratidine for itching. Wear only light cotton bra and keep the area clean, dry and maintain hygiene. You can use baby oil (Olive oil) to apply over breast.

5. So in a nutshell if you are experiencing bilateral symptoms with no visible or palpable clinical features then this may be due to hormonal changes. If you find any of the features mentioned above then needs further evaluation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. Consult your doctor once for examination and management as explained.

If you like my answer kindly rate it and write a review as well.
Wish you good health.