Have itching and irritation sensation in groin area. Used quadriderm ointment. Medicine for permanent cure?

i have irritating itches in my groins.. it had started coming when i used to play sweaty games like basketball during my college days.. however it stopped for one two years then. now i am again getting itchy and irritating sensation in the sides of groins where the scrotum touches the inner thighs. I had used quadriderm ointment (suggested by my relative) whenever i feel irritation (gives relief for 1/2 days), and tried to dry the place after bath before wearing innerwears and recently even shifted to boxer shorts instead of regular briefs. Even though there is a temperory relief, it reappears after a few days. Is there any medicine or methodology which can remove this itch permanantly?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later

You are suffering from fungal infection of skin called ad TINEA CRURIS.
Tinea cruris is a fungal skin infection of the groin. Some types of fungi are commonly found on human skin. They usually do no harm. However, if conditions are right they can enter' the skin, multiply and cause infection. The conditions fungi like best are warm, moist and airless areas of skin, such as the groin, as it is happening in you.

Treatment involves...
You should apply plain anti fungal cream like CLOTRIMAZOLE and not a steroid cream like QUADRIDERM,which you are using. Use the cream for at least 2 weeks.
The steroid reduces inflammation and may ease itch and redness quickly. However, the steroid does not kill the fungus and so a steroid cream alone should not be used.
An antifungal medicine taken by mouth is sometimes prescribed if the infection is widespread or severe - for example, terbinafine, griseofulvin, or FLUCANAZOLE tablets.

How to prevent recurrence of fungal infection...
....Wash your groin daily; then dry thoroughly. Drying is perhaps the most important point. It is easy to put on underwear when your groin is not quite dry. The damp groin is then an ideal site for fungi to multiply. (A hairdryer is useful if you have hairy groins.)
.....Change underwear daily. Fungi may multiply in flakes of skin in unwashed underwear.
.....Wear cotton undergarments only
.....Check for athlete's foot and treat it if you have it. Athlete's foot is a common fungal infection of the toes. The same creams are used to treat athlete's foot and fungal groin infection.
...Do not share towels with people in communal changing rooms. Wash towels frequently.
....Keep your own towel. may even use anti fungal powders in the groin region in day time.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck