Have ischial hip bursitis. Take levothyroxine. Having over active thyroid treated with radio iodine. Alternative medication?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had ischial hip bursitis for 3 years and also take levothyroxine 125mcg after having my erratically over active thyroid treated with radio iodine about 5 years ago. Can there be a link between bursitis and taking levothyroxine, as I have read several posts about this tonight?
I am 55, a casual runner for 7 years doing about 10 miles a week. I did stop running for 6 months which had no effect on the pain. The best pain relief for me is to not sit down a lot, but I do a desk/driving job, so I tend to recover a bit at the weekends. If there is a link for some people, then is there an alternative medicine that could help?
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No association between the two ailments.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

To my knowledge, there is no direct association or relationship between Ischial bursitis and levothyroxine intake. And there is no evidence based data to strengthen this fact.

One of the rarest side effect of long term usage of Oral thyroxine is the development of Hip or knee joint pain but not bursitis.

Regarding an alternate medicine for treating thyroid problems, you should consult your treating physician (being an orthopedic surgeon, I am not the right person to suggest).

The general treatment guidelines for ischial bursitis (weavers bottom) are -
* Rest to the involved area and avoiding activities that produces pain
* Sit on a doughnut-shaped pillow or wedge (V-shaped) cushion
* Ice packs are also a good way of reducing inflammation and pain. Wrap an ice pack in a towel and apply it to the affected area for 10-20 minutes. Repeat this every few hours.
* While sleeping, avoid lying on the side that has bursitis. If possible, raising the body part above the level of your heart may help reduce the inflammation.
* Painkillers such as advil or aleve can help to relieve the pain and inflammation.
* If your bursitis symptoms are very severe or they do not respond to treatment, corticosteroid injections are another possible treatment option.

The last option is surgical resection of the bursa.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further